Sunday, December 30, 2007

Dead Sea Scrolls Report


It was pretty cool, but pretty frustrating in terms of the crush of people to see the actual scrolls – after going through a bunch of exhibits (that were quite good, mind you). After skipping a few and seeing the main ones I wanted to see – War Scroll, Ten Commandments from an Exodus fragment, and a couple others that are slipping my mind at the moment – I was struck with a pretty crazy thought. While nobody can pin it down directly, it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that John the Baptist was an Essene (not enough evidence either way). But if he was I may have been looking at a fragment that he studied while in residence. Cool … at least for a geeky guy like myself.

To the more mundane, it was amazing how small their writing was, but it makes sense if they couldn’t just run to Staples on the corner to get more paper.

I’d recommend it to people if they get a chance, but I don’t know that I’d go see them again. Once was good … but enough.

No comments: