Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Simple Church Challenge

I’m picking up a book I started a couple months ago again about the most effective churches being “simple” - appropriately titled, Simple Church by Geiger and Rainer. The idea is that ministry and the disciple-making process is streamlined. (The idea of a clear path of discipleship is mentioned in Breaking the Missional Code, too.) Sometimes it seems like there is a dizzying flurry of activity and it can get exhausting. At the same time, I know what it is like to have a ministry dear to my heart and I don’t know what it would take for me to be willing to give that ministry up for the sake of simplicity – and overall effectiveness.

I don’t know that we’ll ever go the “simple” route at our church, but what would it take for you to be willing to give up that ministry that is dearest to you for the sake of simplicity? What kind of overall impact would you want to see?

No comments: