Monday, January 4, 2010

Best Books of 2009, Part 2

Here’s the back half of my favorite books of 2009 with some honorable mentions.

When God Says War is Right
I blogged this here (set link). It was an interesting walk through the just war theory. I’ve heard of it, but didn’t really understand it. This is a pretty layman’s level look at the issue and really helpful. Cole walks through recent American conflicts and discusses whether they were in alignment with just war theory. It

Missional Renaissance
There are a handful of books I wanted to blog, but I’m just going to have to bail on them so I can blog on the current books I’ll be reading. I’m deciding between blogging No Perfect People Allowed (check yesterday’s list) or Missional Renaissance by Reggie McNeal (I don’t think those others ‘on the bubble’ will make it – The Oresteia or Servolution). I think it will be McNeal because it is such a paradigm shifting book.

The subtitle is changing the scorecard for the church. We count bodies, offerings, and buildings, but this book challenges us to re-think what we should be about. It is a challenge to be an outward-facing church. I won’t get too deep into it because I hope to get deeper into it later this month blogging. Well worth the read, though.

The Tipping Point
This was likely my favorite book of the year and I didn’t even read it. My wife and I listened to it – with Pixar’s Cars showing in the back seats – during our trip to Seattle this summer. Malcolm Gladwell narrated his own book and it was full of interesting insight. I think I learn better visually than audibly so I haven’t soaked the book in thoroughly, but now I’ve started listening to it for the second time.

It had some insights on community (the rule of 150) and leadership (connectors, mavens, and salesmen) that I need to think through in terms of how church is/should be done. Gladwell is an interesting thinker. I’m not sure if he’s right, but he takes a different angle on basic research that is fascinating. I’m a fan. I’ve already bought Blink, trying hard to save it for my next road trip. I hope I can hold out that long.

Honorable Mentions
I liked these books this year and would encourage you to read them if they look like something you might need. Chasing Daylight by Erwin McManus. Sticky Church by Larry Osborne. Servolution by Dino Rizzo.

No comments: