Saturday, April 28, 2007

Whistle While You Work #7: Provide for the Poor Locally and Globally

We’re still on loving our neighbors through our work. Now we move to a more traditional idea of loving our neighbor. Caring for the poor in this case.

He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need. – Ephesians 4.28
Don’t just work to quit stealing. That’s good. That honors God. Paul’s talking about more than just pulling our own weight. We’re to work to “get” so we can “give.” The end goal isn’t self-provision. It is self-provision plus others’ provision. Jesus was pretty clear on how important it is to take care of the poor.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' – Matthew 25:34-40
Look for local opportunities to give to the poor. It could be the guy on the street corner, if God so leads. But it could also be a mission, or some organization that helps people get on their feet with more long-term assistance and training. Whatever you do, it is clear God wants us to bless the poor through our work.

In Southern California, our church runs a ministry called Campaign for Care that provides blankets for the homeless and we have boxes up for people to donate items to the missions. We also support Faith In Christ Ministries, which is a church that reaches out to the suffering in South LA. If you want to expand caring for the poor to the world, I have a friend who started his own organization that currently trains pastors and evangelizes in India and, most importantly for this point, provides for 30 or so orphans. For more information, check out this website: http://janeshouse.org/

How do you use your work to provide for the poor in your area? What are good ministries in your area that others might be aware of them (be sure to tell us the area)?

No comments: