Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ordination #1a: "Biographical Sketch"

I received a message yesterday from the gentleman overseeing my ordination council and he wanted me to set a date. That freaked me out. I'm don't feel even close to ready for this process. But at least he scared me into getting to work. This first section of the License Paper is the biographical sketch. This will be three parts, probably two blog posts. Enjoy.

The candidate’s conversion and spouse’s conversion.

I grew up with a mother who went to church faithfully as far back as I can remember. I think she started going when I was about one or two. I went regularly as a child to Calvary Baptist Church in Renton, WA. I often felt “compelled” to go forward during the altar calls, but never did. During my junior year of high school I went to church more regularly again – after several years away. Our new church did communion on Sunday evenings and I asked my mom if I could go with her that evening. She obviously consented, but warned me that communion was only for believers. I knew I was supposed to commit my life to Christ for some time, but I just didn’t do it. I took this opportunity and told her I wanted to be a Christian. We went to her room to pray. I don’t remember much in terms of details beyond that, but that marked the beginning of my commitment to Christ.

My wife grew up on the mission field with her parents in Spain and Mexico. When she was five years old she was thinking about hell and didn’t want to go there. She prayed to receive Christ with her mother in the bathroom.


I'd love to hear your story.

Coming Next: "Call to Ministry"

No comments: