Monday, March 19, 2007

No slowing down for "Candy Land"

I just finished a couple games of Candy Land (Dora edition) with Eliana & Vivian (Viv stomped us the first game and apparently didn't think we were worthy competition for the second game). I won the opening game of Chutes & Ladders, but Candy Land apparently isn't my game - I don't think I've ever won more than once or twice. "Who cares?!?!," you may be wondering.

I'm not writing about Candy Land, though. Rather, I'm writing about my impatience going through the game with my 2+ year old and my 3.75 year old. They dilly-dally. I get slightly impatient. Why? No good reason. There's nothing to get to. Suzanne is gone so if they want attention they're coming to me. The only reason I can crank out a quick post is because they're actually sharing Play-Do and Ellie's reading a book on Trash & Recycling from Monkey Grandma.

While having to guess what each one of Eliana's Candy Land cards were was irritating, I can be thankful for the reminder to slow down and enjoy the moments that are, from the perspective of many parents who have gone before me, all too fleeting. This is a great reminder on the need for slowing ... now I actually need to do it.

I'm preaching on the two houses/foundations from Mt. 7.24-29 on Sunday. Like Jesus said, I have heard, now I need to actually "do" something with it. Slow and enjoy my kids, my wife, and, most importantly, do a better job of slowing to be with God.

No comments: