By way of introduction, Driscoll mentioned one of the hardest things for him in ministry is to see other ministers not finish well. This message is a reminder that ministry isn’t what we do for God, but what God does in, for, and through us. Here we go…
11 Things God Does for Church Leaders
(Mark Driscoll via www.mondaymorninginsight.com)
Last week, Mark Driscoll was one of the featured speakers at Catalyst West. I did not get to hear his entire talk, but found these notes from The Resurgence to be really helpful. The topic: 11 things that God does for church leaders. See what you think:
1. Jesus is the Senior Pastor of the church. 1 Peter 5:4 – "And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory."
2. The Holy Spirit chooses leaders for the church. Acts 20:28 – "Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood."
3. God gifts leaders of the church. Ephesians 4:11–12 – "And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ."
Don’t work on your weaknesses; build a team to complement you.
4. God empowers leaders for the church. 1 Corinthians 15:10 – "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me."
Hard work doesn’t make you righteous – Jesus makes you righteous.
5. God encourages leaders in the church. 2 Corinthians 4:1 – "Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart."
Your hope is in God’s mercy, not your results in ministry.
6. The Holy Spirit speaks to leaders about the church. Acts 13:2–3 – "While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, 'Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.' Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off."
7. God gives wisdom to leaders over the church. 2 Timothy 2:7 – "Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything."
8. Jesus joins leaders as they discipline in the church. Matthew 18:20 – "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them."
9. God answers leaders' prayers for the church. James 5:14–15 – "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up."
10. The Holy Spirit falls on Bible preaching in the church. Acts 10:44 – "While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word."
11. The Holy Spirit says no to leaders of the church. Acts 16:6 – "And they went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia."
Sometimes God says ‘No’ because He loves you. It’s not God’s best for you. Love
God, don’t use Him. Worship Him for saying ‘No.’
Any of those jump out as particularly helpful for you? I don’t know if one stands out, in particular, but the entire package was something I knew, but needed to hear afresh in my life and ministry.