Sunday, June 3, 2007

Sabbatical #1: Last Sunday at Cypress

This morning (6/3) was really special for me and Suzanne. We love this church. We were attendees for a couple years before we came on staff part-time in the college ministry. To be given this great gift of a sabbatical is wonderful, but the gift of affirmation from the congregation - both services - was truly powerful. Thank you for the privilege of serving with you.

I don’t know that anyone from our church has done a sabbatical. I'm a little nervous. I don't want to mess it up for those to follow. It certainly hasn’t happened in the last seven years since I’ve been here (five years full time). I’m grateful for the opportunity to the elders have made possible. It really makes me feel valued by the elders and the church, that they want to make sure I’m doing well and I’m refreshed for ministry.

I’m by no means burned out, but I wouldn’t say I’m energized, either. I’m surviving. I’m grateful that the leadership isn’t hoping for surviving, but want thriving. I am really looking for the time to slow down and set aside extended time to refresh my relationship with God. I’m great at reading my Bible and doing “devotions,” but my prayer life has always been a struggle. That’s my big goal this month … to work on drawing near to God in a more meaningful way. First for myself, to delight in Him, but also that I might be able to pastor out of greater depth, doing a better job of drawing on God’s resources and not relying on myself in ministry.

No comments: