Monday, June 11, 2007

Sabbatical #11: The complexity of people

I’ve only done a few posts on Alexander Hamilton, but hopefully it is enough to see the complexity of an incomparably talented man who was all too human. His dueling partner/opponent, Aaron Burr, was very much the antithesis of Hamilton – brooding, private, scheming (I guess that’s not far from Hamilton on the last count).

As I read the end of the book, I began to loathe Burr. He seemed arrogant and just generally repulsive. But then there was a note reminding of his tremendous heartache, losing most of his family that was dear to him as a child, including, if I remember correctly, his grandfather Jonathan Edwards (what an incredible heritage!).

I try not to do it, but I’m not sure it is totally avoidable, but do you ever judge motives of others, thinking you know why they’re doing what they’re doing? I vaguely remember a reminder by Eugene Peterson on spiritual direction. It was basically a reminder that the only one who knows the whole story of the one you’re interacting with is God. It is the duty of the pastor, and of any friend, really, to be humble in working with them. We don’t know the whole story.

I don’t know what to do with this, but to remember it as I interact with people and counsel them, remembering to point them to God.

No comments: