Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Sabbatical #3: "Mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce and..."


...cheese fries and a brat."

I started the morning at LAX - Clayton Slagle was kind enough to take me at 4:15 am. He's a saint, but not because he took me to the airport; he wakes up about that time anyway. When I got to the airport, I hear somebody greeting everyone with too much energy for that time in the morning. I was facing the planes, but curiousity finally got the best of me when this person shouted, "Mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce!" Yep. It was Little Richard from that annoying insurance commercial ... and I'm sure he's done some other stuff. Before he left for his plane a member of his entourage was handing out "souvenirs" from Little Richard. I took one. It was a Christian book, at least it seems to be - I haven't looked at it closely. It was really encouraging. He was a jovial guy who was greeting everyone warmly. He wasn't an aloof celebrity, and he was giving out literature that people might know about Christ.


After traveling all day, I went to Miller Park, home of the Milwaukee Brewers to catch them play the Cubs. I think the makeup of the crowd was probably 60% Brewers fans, 40% Cubs fans. It was a nice park, but the roof was closed. I saw several home runs by the Brewers, but I only lasted through the fifth inning. I'm fading fast from the short night last night.

It has been a great start to this adventure, but I've been a little lonely, which is surprising. I generally like some solitude time, but I was itching to share my adventure with people - I called Suzanne, my Dad, Danny Kugelberg (Cubs fan).

I'm looking forward to the conference that starts tomorrow.

No comments: