Monday, June 18, 2007

Sabbatical #18: Happy (Belated) Father's Day!

Happy Belated Father’s Day to any who might be checking today. I had a good time with my dad and brother – we went out to Thai food. Before that I went to my dad’s house and we put pavers in. We’re having a family reunion in a couple weeks. I think more than anything my dad taught me how to work. It wasn’t always fun, but it something I am incredibly thankful for now.

My form of work has changed significantly, however. I was reminded of this by the work I did with my dad yesterday … pavers. I don’t think I’ve ever been this sore the day after anything like I am today. Last night I couldn’t dial my cell phone without much effort – thumbs shaking, and everything. I’m totally worn out, but it was a joy to work hard with my hands, something I rarely do now.

At the same time, it isn’t anything I want to do day in and day out. But I am thankful for all the people who work hard with their hands. It is a proud part of my heritage and we couldn’t live without them.

I hope you had a good time with your dads and were able to honor them.

No comments: